Summer Camp Program Assistant
Company: Galileo Camps
Location: Mission Viejo
Posted on: May 21, 2020
Love the details? Get deep satisfaction from a job well done?
Love helping things run smoothly? Find delight in supporting the
administrative needs of a team and providing excellent customer
service? Obsessed with check lists and office organization?
The Program Assistant is the behind-the-scenes administrative and
programmatic support of some of our largest Galileo camp sites.
This role supports the Operations Coordinator in setting the tone
for service mentality and work ethic for every other camp staff
member. They role model the flexibility required at camp-there is
no job too big or too small. There is a lot of work to make the
camp office-and thus camp-run smoothly, and our Program Assistants
help turn those wheels! Perfect for those that love databases and
camp songs alike. Learn more about this role and working at Galileo
in our jobs video gallery .
We value having divergent thinkers who bring various experiences
and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage
members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Galileo's mission is to develop innovators who envision and create
a better world. We know it's bold. We also know that we can't
achieve it without asking staff to be role models of an innovator's
mindset-visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and
reflective. It's not always easy. Camp staffers work hard. Very
hard. You can expect days in which there's a lot to do and not a
lot of time to do it. But part of what makes our culture great is
that no one is too proud to complete any task that needs doing. Our
camp staffers bring camp magic to life-for campers, and for
This isn't your average summer recreation gig. Galileans are
expected to take ownership of their own performance and make this
place better every day. People with a can-do attitude thrive here
and those with a victim mentality don't. We manage to keep this
level of performance expectation high in a relaxed environment; we
take our work, not ourselves, seriously.
Being a Galilean means jumping into action to bring camp magic to
life. Depending on the day, that could mean creating a gorgeous
sign that highlights the Galileo Innovation Approach, donning a
tutu for a skit, or playing a board game with two campers to build
connection. Galileans know what it means to be a vital part of a
team. Galileans want to grow. Galileans like to have fun at work.
Galileans love sharing in-and helping to create-joyful experiences.
After all, we run summer camps. You get the point.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
Purposeful work in a playful, supportive environment. Plus, you'll
join a lifelong community that stands for innovation, credibility,
and expertise. We're a certified B Corporation that is ranked #1 on
the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, were named one of Forbes'
Best Small Companies and a Top 100 Impact Company, and are
authentically committed to inclusion and equity company-wide-which
includes joyfully upholding a robust financial assistance
SHARED VALUES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Serve as an ambassador of Galileo, demonstrating our mission and
values in a positive and professional manner and acting as a role
model of the Galileo Innovator's Mindset
- Commit to building a safe, child-focused community
- Demonstrate professionalism and accountability
- Take initiative to analyze and solve problems
- Treat others with courtesy and respect
- Respond to camper, family member and colleague needs
- Strengthen our relationship with host site by upholding facility
policies and embracing host site employees as partners
- Maintain a high standard of ethics, integrity and
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support administrative and management tasks, as directed by
Operations Coordinator, Assistant Camp Director, or Camp
- Support all aspects of camp, especially behind-the-scenes
operations and programming
- Provide excellent customer service to camp families via phone or
in person, communicating with a positive, professional and fun
- Support production of weekly camper paperwork and database
- Maintain safe environments for all campers
- Support camper needs, including First Aid
- Support Extended Care program, including staffing assignments and
- Provide leadership, energy, and camp spirit for campers and
- Support camp operations, such as check in and check out
procedures, and T-shirt distribution processes
- Provide support in classrooms as needed
- Participate in all camp activities, supervise snack, lunch, and
other camp programming
- Delegate administrative projects to Summer Interns and help
manage their work
- Support management and organization of various camp
- Support management of supply requests, expense reports and budget
WORK HOURS AND DATES
The camp environment is demanding, requiring consistent dedication
and work ethic from each staff member. Depending on the time of
summer or the specific week or day, the needs of camp and resulting
staff hours may vary. We seek and make offers to staff who we
believe are capable of thriving in this environment, both
professionally and personally.
GENERAL CAMP STAFF HOURS INFORMATION:
- Staff may work anytime between 7:30am and 6pm, Monday through
Friday. Number of hours and start/finish time will vary by site,
position and day
- Staff meetings: During regular work hours before or after the
start of programming
- Before setup days begin, complete between 2-12 hours of online
- Training and setup days: Participate in two mandatory training
and setup days in the days before camp starts
- Camp cleanup: Participate in cleaning and packing up camp for an
additional 1-5 hours in your last week of camp, typically some
additional hours at the end of the day. On the last day of camp all
staff stay on site until cleanup is complete, which could be up to
6pm at the earliest
POSITION-SPECIFIC HOURS INFORMATION :
The camp day runs, on average, 8 hours for Program Assistants.
Program Assistants' typical schedule is from 7:45am-4:15pm.
General supervision, ongoing observation and evaluation is provided
by your Camp Director.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be
made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential
- Some lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs.
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
- Use hand and fingers to help with classroom supplies and operate
- Frequent sitting
- Standing, walking, kneeling
Keywords: Galileo Camps, Mission Viejo , Summer Camp Program Assistant, Other , Mission Viejo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!